Late again! Happy Monday to you! I was going to send this before I left for a private chocolate tour today but I had to tell the builder where I wanted the lights to go, which meant deciding where I wanted the lights to go! 🙂
From last week’s “research”, Bake for Syria launch and full day pastry tour, here are the best things I tasted:
- New cafe Burr & Co inside the Principal Hotel on Russell Square have an impressive selection of cakes and treats. It’s headed up by Ryan Thompson, the former head chef of Dominique Ansel London. I went twice and on both occasions tried the signature Burr Cake – it was loved by all ten people who tasted it in my company – a properly chocolatey cake.
- Sans Pere are making Peanut, Coconut & Caramel Croissants and Banana Chocolate ones. I chose the former because it was more Instagrammable (I am rolling my own eyes at this) and … didn’t get a good photo. Ha! It was sweet but delicious. I think I’m really going to like the banana chocolate one.
- At the industry launch of the Bake for Syria cookbook my favourite treats were the fruit cake by Martha Collinson of Great British Bake Off Series 5 and Lily Vanilli’s pomegranate and sesame curd tarts. You really want this book. 😉
- On our full day pastry tour the highlight were the Young Vegans pies. We tried seven of the eight savoury options and the pastry – including the gluten-free version – was excellent and the fillings totally rich and delicious. The “chicken parmigiana” was just bizarre but also total, brilliant comfort food.
- Yolkin has been in business three years but only opened their first store this year. I popped in and bought their special, a coconut ice cream and mango sorbet macaron sandwich. Trying to figure out if we can squeeze them onto the ice cream tour…
Our event on Wednesday is waiting list only at the moment but there are still spaces for the private chocolate evening at Rococo Chocolates in Belgravia on Thursday 19th July at 6.30pm.
Hope you have a great week! I’m guiding a full day cake tour tomorrow! And somehow supposed to be eating a burger and then dinner after that… Hmm…