I was out for dinner at the Sanderson Hotel last night and got in late so decided to leave this until this morning. I was going to send it before I went for dinner but I thought maybe something from last night would push something from this list. It didn’t. It was a very enjoyable meal with a focus on British produce and Commonwealth-themed flavours (pictures should be in my Instagram stories until this evening), but this has been a noteworthy week for food…
- I started the week with the best lunch I’ve had in ages and can’t recommend more that you go to Lupins. There were two standout dishes: ricotta, honey and peaches on sourdough toast and burrata with a strawberry soffrito.
- I had the most refreshing and perfectly balanced frozen margarita at the Chipotle vegan launch but had to rush before I could join the queue to try their braised tofu. For a chain I’ve always been impressed with their attempts to be relatively environmentally conscious. I’ll pop in to try it soon and report back!
- On Wednesday I went to a photo workshop with the Creating For Good team led by Giulia and Jo. It was held at Tab X Tab and every penny went to charity. Given I already love Tab X Tab and they were providing food, it was easy to part with my money. I might have eaten this entire platter of avocado toast.
- Which meant that although avocado on toast at Half Cup looked so tempting I couldn’t face eating it again for brunch on Thursday morning. I had the Buddha bowl instead (which came with avocado, oops) and followed it up with the most fabulous toasted banana bread which came with toasted pecans, pretty flowers and lemon balm and lashings of marscapone laced with espresso. Divine and excellent value at £4.50!
- Friday I took advantage of the Hot Dinners deal for 25% off Hankies during August and stuffed myself with a selection of vegetarian curry. My favourite dish was the cashew cream, wild mushroom kofta (I think there was dairy cream in there, too). The lentil doughnuts with sweet yoghurt and tamarind were an unusual texture but balanced the other dishes brilliantly.
Tomorrow I’m getting up early to collect my mum from the airport! She hasn’t been to England in four years. I cannot wait.