I took my mum back to the airport yesterday and said goodbye to my brothers earlier in the week. It’s going to be strange being back to having none of them around.
There are still some tickets to Auction Against Hunger this Tuesday evening. I’ll be hosting a table with Ravneet Gill and we’ll be serving up salted burnt caramel soft serve with delicious Pump Street Chocolate toppings. I tried it fresh from the machine on Wednesday night and it is INCREDIBLE.
1. After ice cream churning we rewarded ourselves with dinner at newly-revived Rita’s Dining currently popping up in Redchurch Brewery. I never choose to eat chicken but I tried the schmaltz potatoes cooked in chicken fat with chicken skin and they might not look much (bottom of this photo) were total comfort food.
2. After a trip to Ikea and Topps Tiles (the kitchen is nearly done!) we had a great simple lunch at Lighthaus Cafe in Leyton which I’ll definitely return to. We took home a squidgy and very chocolatey homemade gluten free pistachio brownie. Picture below is the lunch.
3. At Band of Bakers one of my favourite dishes was a savoury tomato and fennel cake by chef Susan Foynes of Salvation Suppers. I’m sad I can’t make her final date for her supperclub this year – it’s this Wednesday 26th in case you’re free?
4. I was invited to an introduction to We Are Tea and tried a few dishes and a cocktail made with their tea. I particularly loved the jasmine rice with jasmine tea salad. Their tea bags are 100% biodegradable (so many have plastic!) and by the end of this year all of their packaging will be plastic-free. They’ve also won more than 60 Great Taste Awards.
5. Finally, sensational gnocchi at Salon today and a wonderful blueberry, almond and white chocolate crumble tart. So good. I wanted everything on the menu and tried some of the others’ selections and they were all fantastic.
On Instagram you might also have seen the tacos at Super Tacos in Fulham Broadway. They were also worthy of being in this list! If you want to make it a meal I’d definitely suggest the option that comes with rice, beans and salad.
If you come to Auction Against Hunger please come say hi!