- The last Monday of November started with Mince Pie Gelato kindly delivered before 10am by the super people of Hackney Gelato. Perfectly-timed for a second breakfast with Meredith who’d stayed overnight and Chloe who had joined us for breakfast.
Then on Tuesday I went exploring:
- The Passionfruit Cruffin (click the link for the video – asmr pastry crackle perfection) from Sourdough Sophia was truly the thing of dreams. Crackly pastry and filled too oozing with zingy passionfruit custardy curd. Sophia’s panattone was also one of the best I’ve had. I love her commitment to using excellent ingredients, even if it means her margins are not as high as they could be. And the variety that the team produces out of a tiny space is phenomenal. Watch out for a second location in 2022!
I promise I was more impressed than I look!
- The double-layered Chocolate Guinness Cake from Big Jo Bakery is what a classic chocolate cake should be: rich but not too rich, excellent frosting in just the right amounts, and a properly cakey crumb.
- But if you want an even richer and more decadent slice of chocolate cake then visit Rose Bakery at the top of Dover Street market for a smaller, single layer of gluten-free, almond-based, rich, rich chocolate cake with a whipped praline topping. Still a cake and not a brownie, but fabulously chocolatey and the praline layer is superb. If your budget isn’t stretching to a £6 (plus service) slice of cake then collect a chocolate cookie to take away. Genuinely one of the best in town and filled with Valrhona chocolate.
- On a tour we stopped at Tiger Cookies and I was reminded how great the pistachio-filled cookie cup is. A hidden secret in Mayfair.
- I opened and devoured my final bar of Dormouse Toasted White Chocolate. God, this bar is so good.
- I also finally opened by birthday gift from Beth of EK Bakery – Fig, Hazelnut and Pistachio chocolate biscotti. They were as good as everything she makes!
- Loved the frangipane mince pie from Quality Chop House and the classic brought back for me from Landrace Bakery by Felicity Spector.